Types of Windows in San Diego| General Millwork Supply
1. Casement Windows: A window that is hinged on the right- or left-hand side and opens outward with a turn of a crank handle.
Pro: It offers excellent ventilation. And since this model is sealed all the way around when shut, it boasts a low air-leakage rate and good noise reduction.
Con: Because it swings out, it won’t work near a walkway or a deck.
2. Double-Hung Windows: This type features two sashes (movable panels) that slide up and down. (On Single-Hung Windows, only the lower sash moves)
Pro: Opening both the top and the bottom creates a natural convection–cool air comes in at the bottom and warm air escapes out the top. Many models tilt inward so you can wash the glass safely from the inside.
Con: The horizontal rail in the middle obstructs your view.
3. Awning Windows: Similar to a casement but hinged at the top and swing out.
Pro: When extended, the glass slopes downward, so the window can be left open when it rains. It can be used as a clerestory (a window near the top of a wall) to let hot air escape.
Con: Offers only partial ventilation and is usually too small to use in the event of an evacuation.
4. Fixed (or Picture) Windows: There is no sash to open, so it lets in only light, not air and offers unobstructed views.
Pro: A small one can brighten up a stairwell, while a large one showcases an amazing view. A fixed window comes in many shapes, such as a radius window as shown here. Plus, no drafts!
Con: You won’t get any ventilation, of course, and you’ll need to clean the exterior from the outside.
5. Gliding Windows: A window with a moving panel that slides to the left or the right to open.
Pro: It is easy to open and doesn’t project outward, so it works well next to walkways and patios. The opening is usually big enough for an emergency evacuation. Fixed screens can be added.
Con: You can open only one side at a time.
AND MANY OTHER TYPES OF WINDOWS….
So, Call us today at 760-591-4257, and our “No-Pressure” professionals will assist you with your selections, or come by our Showroom in person, we’d LOVE to be of assistance!